Dehydration is not the sole reason for dry skin. Both external and internal factors can lead to small flakes, itching and scaling. These include weather changes, certain diseases and using chemical-based products. The good news is that a gentle moisturizer for a dry face can help cope with such issues. Use a moisturizer that instantly hydrates for long-lasting relief. Such products are designed to offer intensive moisturization to the driest areas, without leaving a greasy residue.
The severity of dry skin depends on age and health. Therefore, it is extremely important to know the right cause for dryness. This can help you avoid certain lifestyle choices and understand when to see a dermatologist. Read on to make an informed choice for healthy and glowing skin.
What Causes Dry Skin?
Lack of moisture is the basic reason for dry skin. The healthy fat on the topmost layer of the skin is stripped off. At this point you might experience cracking, redness and peeling. Below are a few other prominent reasons:
- Long steaming showers or soaking in hot water can dry out your skin. This is especially common during the winter months.
- Harsh soaps can reduce the oil content of the skin. They contain ingredients like synthetic colors, fragrance and paraben, which can cause an imbalance in the natural water levels of the skin.
- Chlorine is known to eliminate oil from the skin surface. In fact, prolonged exposure can also cause irritation. This mainly takes place if you are a regular swimmer, since chlorine is used in swimming pools to kill germs.
- Dry skin is common during the winter. The humidity levels drop, which can make your skin itchy and parched.
- Medical conditions like psoriasis, thyroid problems and eczema can also dry out your skin. These lead to inflammations, hyper-pigmentation and rough patches.
Other causes could be genetics, family history and overuse of sanitizers containing alcohol. They can remove the natural oil and water over time ultimately result in skin discomfort.
How to Fix Dry Skin?
In case of severe conditions, it is advisable to see a doctor. Otherwise, you can try simple remedies at home. For example, choose Cetaphil moisturizer for dry skin and apply liberally twice a day or as often as needed to sooth rough skin.
Besides using a moisturizer cream for dry skin, consider wearing gloves for household work. Detergents and scrubbers contain harsh chemicals, which can irritate and dry out the skin. Keeping your hands protected can be a good idea to keep the skin healthy.
After taking a swim or a shower, consider using a face moisturizer for dry skin. Choose one that nourishes and replenishes to leave the skin feeling soft and supple. In fact, look for one that is infused with a superior system of emollients to restore the natural moisture barrier.
Before using a moisturizer for a dry face, check if it is clinically and dermatologically tested to be gentle on sensitive skin. Further, avoid rigorous washing, sun exposure and follow the doctor’s recommended treatment plan for the desired results.